What you need to know ...
Newcomers - welcome to the JHC
Welcome to the Johannesburg Hiking Club. We hope you will enjoy this adventure with us.
We recommend you take note of the following when planning to join in on a Sunday hike.
Once you have completed your first hike it would be greatly appreciated if you could take a moment to complete the above feedback form and return to us, thank you.
- Print the on line form and take this with you, in order for the leader of the day to sign off the hike.
- The meeting place for Sunday hikes is mostly at Constantia Park but check the programme for details. When making a booking for a booked Sunday hike, kindly check with the administrator.
- The meeting time is 07h45 (unless otherwise stated in the programme).
- Our hikes are not 'a walk in the park' and therefore a certain degree of fitness is necessary, as most hikes include a steep climb to the escarpment and the hikes can be adventuresome.
- On inclines, watch your step and be careful of loose or falling rocks.
- Please wear strong takkies or preferably hiking boots which have been worn in, as most hikes are over rough terrain, i.e. no paths but bundu bashing and clambering over rocks.
- It is advisable to wear two pairs of socks.
- 2lts of water must be carried on all day hikes.
- Kindly carry your medical aid card or details with you at all times.
- Pack a suitable picnic lunch and some snacks to nibble.
- A sunhat and sun cream are necessary.
- Always have a rain coat and a jacket or warm top. Temperatures vary drastically, especially in storms.
- A day ruck sack is required in order for your items to be kept together and carried on your back.
- If a braai has been stated on the programme, you need to bring a plate, cutlery and whatever food/drink you require. The fire will be provided.
At the meeting point, complete the non member attendance register, pay the fee and if you require a lift let the leader of the day know.