Home Programme Pertinent info re prog Newcomers
What you need to know ...
Newcomers - welcome to Sunday hiking
Welcome to the Johannesburg Hiking Club.
We recommend you take note of the following when planning to join in on a Sunday hike.
- Print the on line form and take this with you, in order for the leader of the day to sign off the hike.
- Make sure you have the correct Sunday meeting place. Check the programme but if you are not sure, please contact our administrator.
- The meeting time is 08h00 (unless otherwise stated in the programme).
- A certain degree of fitness is necessary, as most hikes include a steep climb to the escarpment.
- Please wear strong takkies or preferably hiking boots which have been worn in.
- It is advisable to wear two pairs of socks.
- 2lts of water must be carried on all day hikes.
- Pack a suitable picnic lunch and some snacks to nibble.
- A sunhat and sun cream are necessary.
- Always have a rain coat and a jacket or warm top. Temperatures vary drastically, especially in storms.
- A day ruck sack is required in order for your items to be kept together and carried on your back.
- If a braai has been stated on the programme, you need to bring a plate, cutlery and whatever food/drink you require. The fire will be provided.
At the meeting point, complete the non member attendance register, pay the fee and if you require a lift let the leader of the day know.
A good idea for the end of the hike is: to put a cold drink into a small cooler box and keep this in your car. After a long hot hike, there is nothing nicer than a cool drink.
We hope you will enjoy your hiking experience with us.